16 Aug Perfect Pea Toast
Forget avocado toast – there’s another green toast topping in town…
It’s higher in protein. Packed with vitamin C. Mouth-wateringly delicious (of course). And makes for a dream breakfast, brunch or lunch.
What is it?
Pea toast! 🟢🟢🟢
I’ve been making this vibrant, lemony pea toast on Shine Yoga retreats in Cornwall this year. It’s been a standout favourite so I figured it’s about time I shared the recipe.
I just love the dazzling colour and texture combos in the dish. The sweet peas, creamy coconut yoghurt, zingy lemon, crisp peppery radish and the crunchy, salty seeds…
So yum! 😋
I have a feeling pea toast could be the next big thing! Knocking avocado toast from the top menu spot at trendy cafes worldwide and skyrocketing #peatoast from it’s current 452 posts on Instagram…
To match the dizzying heights of the 2,000,000 #avocadotoast posts.
Remember you heard it from me first 😂
And the things is…
This is such a good recipe to keep in your back pocket (or, you know, maybe just bookmark this page)
Because, if you’re like me, you almost always have a bag of peas at the back of the freezer…
Which means you can whip up this dish in just a few minutes.
I normally pick frozen petis pois for this dish as they’re sweeter than regular garden peas but both work well. And if you can’t get hold of miso and nutritional yeast just leave them out.
One more thing. If you do make this please please take a picture and let me know! Tag me on instagram @shineyoga, email me or leave a comment below.
If you liked this recipe make sure you sign up to the Shine newsletter HERE to receive my online yoga classes, recipes, retreat updates and more!
Perfect Pea Toast
- 400 grams frozen petis pois
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white miso paste optional
- 20 grams nutritional yeast optional
- 70 grams coconut yoghurt plain and unsweetened
- 10 grams mint chopped
- 10 grams basil chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds optional
- 1 tsp tamari or soya sauce optional
- 4 radishes sliced
- 8 sunsoaked tomato pieces
- Cook the frozen petis pois in boiling water for 2 minutes. Immediately drain and set aside to drain further.
- Grate the zest of 1 lemon into a large bowl. Then squeeze in the juice. Tip the peas into the bowl. Add the olive oil, miso paste, nutritional yeast and coconut yoghurt.
- Set aside around 2 tablespoons of herbs to garnish and add the rest to the bowl. Stir to combine then use a potato masher or hand blender to smush the peas until you have a rough puree.
- Try the mixture and season to taste.
- If you're using the seeds, put them in a frying pan on a medium heat to toast for a few minutes. When they are nicely toasted add the tamari/soya sauce stir to combine and set the seeds aside (off the heat).
- Toast the bread then spoon on the peas.
- Finish with slices of radish, sunsoaked tomatoes, seeds and a sprinkling of the fresh herbs.